Confused by all the different injectable facial rejuvenation treatments out there?
That happens often.
Age Management Institute’s founder, Dr. Lizette Lourens was featured on Examiner.com, outlining the pros and cons of different treatment options.
Botox injections take top place for injectable facial treatments, followed by cosmetic fillers. With the abundance of facial fillers and volumizing products flooding the market, consumers seeking rejuvenation treatments are finding it challenging to determine their best option.
‘First and foremost, the consumer should understand it’s not their job to determine what treatment is right for them. That’s the job of a skilled, educated injector,’ insists Canadian anti-aging expert, Dr. Lizette Lourens. ‘Each filler and injectable product has benefits and limitations, depending upon age, health issues, the guest’s expectations, and what area of the face is being treated. A personal consultation is essential to determine the best course of treatment,’ adds Lourens.
Each filler and injectable product has benefits and limitations, depending upon age, health issues, the guest’s expectations, and what area of the face is being treated. A personal consultation is essential to determine the best course of treatment
Loss of volume in the face occurs naturally as we age and also as a result of health issues. In the past, people turned to plastic surgery to tighten up facial skin, often resulting in an artificial appearance. ‘When the facial volume naturally diminishes, the underlying bone structure becomes more prominent,’ explains Lourens. ‘Plastic surgery tightens up the lax skin, stretching it against the bones. Well, that will reduce wrinkles but it certainly doesn’t restore the natural volume, so people can end up with the ‘Skeletor’ look,’ she jokes.
The advanced fillers today create a more natural look, allowing guests to maintain their identity and appear more youthful, yet not artificial.
The best results for a natural-looking rejuvenated appearance are often achieved through a combination of different treatments.
The pros and cons of traditional and longer-lasting cosmetic facial fillers
Traditional facial fillers (includes Restylane, Perlane, Juvéderm products, Volift, Voluma and some others)
- The results from these fillers are visible immediately. Great for those seeking instant gratification for special events just a few days or weeks away
- There is no down time following treatments, though some bruising and minimal swelling may occur
- Traditional cosmetic fillers last between six to nine months
- Voluma lasts up to one year
- Over-injection can be a problem, resulting in the look of being ‘done’
- All of these treatments are reversible, if necessary
- Voluma is excellent in treating larger areas, such as the cheeks, while Volift is good for filling the naso-labial folds that run from the sides of the nose to the corners of the mouth
- Juvéderm Ultra is often used for areas where the skin is thinner, including the upper lip lines and hands
- Juvéderm Ultra Plus is popular for enhancing the lips
Longer lasting facial rejuvenation treatments (including Selphyl and Sculptra)
- Selphyl and Sculptra are two of the best rejuvenation products for older guests, as they help restore collagen production
- The two treatments, Selphyl and Sculptra, can also be combined to successfully treat more areas of the face
- It’s almost impossible to over-treat a guest. The worst that can happen is that it builds more collagen
Selphyl or Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) involves drawing blood, putting it through a centrifuge to extract the PRP, then re-injecting it into the face. The treatment is often referred to as the ‘Vampire Facelift’.
- PRP treatments are the most natural approach to facial rejuvenation as it uses your own blood and the body’s natural healing processes
- Naturally boosts collagen
- Improvement in skin volume and texture is noticeable within six to eight weeks and will continue to improve for several months
- Effect typically lasts from 12 – 18 months
- Selphyl is very effective for treating tear troughs under the eyes, upper lip, décolleté, and the face
- Some swelling and bruising may occur at the injection sites but will disappear within a few days
- Selphyl is not reversible, though it’s almost impossible to over-treat a guest. The worst that can happen is that it builds more collagen
- Results build gradually and disappear gradually, so people will notice you look more youthful but not ‘done’
- Selphyl treatments are more expensive than traditional fillers
- The treatment lasts longer, has a more natural look and improves skin tone and texture in addition to restoring volume
Sculptra is one of the newer products available in Canada and is rapidly gaining in popularity.
- Like Selphyl, Sculptra naturally boosts collagen production to restore skin tone and volume
- Sculptra does not require drawing of blood
- Sculptra ‘seeds’ the face to stimulate collagen
- Minimal to no downtime. Some temporary swelling or bruises may occur
- Excellent treatment for areas of the face where other filler products are not as effective, such as jowls and temples
- For those who have had a facelift, Sculptra can help restore natural volume to create a softer appearance
- Multiple Sculptra treatments are often recommended
- After the initial treatment, the injector will assess the results and use subsequent injections to slowly build to the desired look
- Guests with auto-immune diseases are not candidates for Sculptra
- Sculptra boosts the collagen production deeper within the skin than Selphyl
- Sculptra results last for 2+ years; more than double the time of traditional fillers
- Costlier than traditional fillers in the short term but not in the long term, due to the longevity
Considering facial rejuvenation? It’s easier than ever to find a product and price point that’s right for you to restore a youthful look and defy the tell-tale signs of aging.
To ensure the treatment is appropriate, it’s imperative to seek out an experienced injector that is properly trained and skilled in administering multiple types of products. The best results for a natural-looking rejuvenated appearance are often achieved through a combination of treatments.